I'm a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Sun protection is a crucial aspect of maintaining healthy and youthful skin. Incorporating sunscreen into your makeup routine is an excellent way to ensure you’re protected from harmful UV rays. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of makeup with sunscreen, review 10 of the best products available on Amazon, and provide a helpful buyers guide. Additionally, we’ll answer some frequently asked questions to give you a comprehensive understanding of makeup with sunscreen.
What is Makeup with Sunscreen?
Makeup with sunscreen refers to cosmetic products that include sun protection factor (SPF) to shield your skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation. These products can range from foundations and concealers to lipsticks and eye shadows. Makeup with SPF not only enhances your beauty but also helps protect your skin from premature aging and skin cancer.
Benefits of SPF Makeup
Using makeup with SPF offers several advantages, such as:
- Dual Functionality: It serves as both makeup and sunscreen, saving you time and money.
- Protection from UV Rays: SPF makeup shields your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays, reducing the risk of premature aging and skin cancer.
- Enhanced Skin Health: By preventing sun damage, SPF makeup keeps your skin looking youthful and healthy.
- Convenience: It’s easy to incorporate SPF makeup into your daily routine, ensuring consistent sun protection.
- Wide Range of Options: There are numerous makeup products with SPF available, catering to various skin types and preferences.
IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream
This CC cream offers full coverage, SPF 50+ sun protection, and anti-aging skincare in one product. It’s perfect for those seeking a multitasking product that evens out skin tone while protecting from UV rays.
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
This lightweight gel-cream provides sheer-to-medium coverage and SPF 30 protection. It’s ideal for those who prefer a natural, dewy finish without compromising on sun protection.
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Tinted Mineral Sunscreen
This ultra-light sunscreen offers 100% mineral UV protection with a universal tint. Its SPF 50 formula is suitable for sensitive skin and provides a matte finish.
Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream
This color-correcting cream provides SPF 35 protection and evens out skin tone. It contains antioxidants and skin-nourishing ingredients, making it an excellent choice for promoting healthy skin.
Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer
This oil-free tinted moisturizer provides lightweight coverage and SPF 20 protection. Enriched with Amazonian clay and vitamins, it helps control oil and hydrate the skin.
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup
This liquid foundation offers medium coverage and SPF 20 protection. Its lightweight formula is non-comedogenic and infused with antioxidants for healthier-looking skin.
Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield
This all-mineral sunscreen offers broad-spectrum SPF 50 protection with a lightweight, non-greasy formula. It also features a universal tint that blends well with most skin tones.
NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer
This oil-free tinted moisturizer provides sheer-to-medium coverage and SPF 30 protection. It’s formulated with skin-brightening ingredients to give you a radiant, natural-looking finish.
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream
This 8-in-1 beauty balm provides sheer coverage and SPF 30 protection. It’s an affordable option for those seeking a multitasking product that hydrates, smooths, and brightens the skin.
EltaMD UV Physical Tinted Facial Sunscreen
This oil-free, tinted sunscreen offers SPF 41 protection with a water-resistant formula. It’s suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and post-procedure skin.
Makeup with Sunscreen: Product Comparisons
IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream vs. bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
While both products offer sun protection and coverage, the IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream provides higher SPF and full coverage, while the bareMinerals Gel Cream has a lighter coverage and dewy finish.
Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer
Supergoop! offers higher SPF protection and color correction properties, while Tarte focuses on oil control and hydration with a slightly lower SPF. Both products are suitable for those seeking a natural finish.
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup vs. Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream
Neutrogena’s liquid foundation offers medium coverage and is infused with antioxidants, while Maybelline’s BB cream provides sheer coverage and multiple skincare benefits. The choice between these two products depends on your desired level of coverage and additional skin benefits.
Makeup with Sunscreen Buyers Guide
When choosing makeup with sunscreen, consider the following factors:
- SPF Level: Aim for a product with SPF 30 or higher for adequate sun protection.
- Broad Spectrum: Choose a product that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Skin Type: Opt for a product that suits your skin type, whether it’s oily, dry, sensitive, or combination.
- Coverage: Determine whether you prefer sheer, medium, or full coverage.
- Finish: Choose a product with a finish that complements your skin type and desired look, such as matte, dewy, or natural.
- Additional Benefits: Consider any added skincare benefits the product offers, like hydration, oil control, or anti-aging properties.
Can I use makeup with sunscreen instead of regular sunscreen?
While makeup with sunscreen provides sun protection, it’s crucial to apply a sufficient amount for adequate coverage. You may also want to use a separate sunscreen to ensure you’re fully protected.
How often should I reapply makeup with sunscreen?
It’s recommended to reapply sunscreen every two hours or after activities like swimming or sweating. Touch up your makeup with sunscreen or use a setting spray with SPF to maintain protection throughout the day.
Can I use makeup with sunscreen on acne-prone skin?
Yes, look for non-comedogenic products that won’t clog pores and exacerbate acne. Oil-free and mineral-based formulas may be suitable for acne-prone skin.
Can makeup with sunscreen cause skin irritation?
Some people may experience irritation from chemical sunscreens. If you have sensitive skin, consider using makeup with a mineral-based sunscreen (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide).
Can I use makeup with sunscreen around my eyes?
Yes, but be cautious to avoid getting the product in your eyes. Opt for eye makeup specifically formulated with SPF for additional protection.
Can I use makeup with sunscreen on dark skin tones?
Absolutely. Choose a product with a broad spectrum SPF and a tint or shade that matches your skin tone. Many brands offer diverse shade ranges to accommodate various skin tones.
How do I choose the right shade of makeup with sunscreen?
Select a shade that closely matches your skin tone. Some makeup products with sunscreen have a universal tint that adapts to your skin tone, making shade selection easier.
Can I use makeup with sunscreen during pregnancy?
Yes, but consult your doctor if you’re unsure. Opt for mineral-based sunscreens and products free of potentially harmful ingredients like oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate.
How can I ensure my makeup with sunscreen lasts all day?
Use a primer before applying your makeup and set your makeup with a setting spray or powder, preferably one with added SPF, to prolong its wear and sun protection.
Is makeup with sunscreen suitable for mature skin?
Yes, makeup with sunscreen can be beneficial for mature skin. Look for products with hydrating and anti-aging properties that won’t settle into fine lines and wrinkles.
How to Apply Makeup with Sunscreen: A Step-By-Step Guide for Flawless Application and Sun Protection
Following these steps will help you achieve a flawless makeup application while ensuring your skin is adequately protected from the sun:
- Cleanse your face: Begin by thoroughly cleansing your face to remove any dirt, oil, or impurities.
- Apply a moisturizer: Apply a lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer suitable for your skin type to keep your skin hydrated throughout the day.
- Use a primer: Apply a primer to create a smooth base for your makeup and prolong its wear. If your primer also contains SPF, it can provide an additional layer of sun protection.
- Apply makeup with sunscreen: Using a makeup sponge, brush, or your fingers, apply your chosen foundation, tinted moisturizer, or CC/BB cream with SPF evenly across your face. Ensure you’re using the appropriate amount of product to achieve adequate sun protection.
- Blend well: Blend the product thoroughly, paying special attention to the hairline, jawline, and around the eyes and nose. This ensures a seamless, natural-looking finish.